Chung Cheng High School was established in January 1939 at Kim Yam Road, Singapore. In its early years, the school, with only male pupil enrolment, attracted students from ASEAN countries. It ceased operation during the Japanese Occupation. After the Second World War, the school resumed operation as a co-educational school in September 1945.
In August 1947, to cope with the increased student population, part of the school moved into a new school building in Goodman Road. The school located at Goodman Road is named as Chung Cheng High School (Main) while the old school at Kim Yam road was renamed Chung Cheng High School (Branch) and subsequently in May 1969 it was relocated to Guillemard Road.
In 1981, following Singapore’s emphasis on bilingualism, the school started offering English stream classes. Currently, the school offers secondary education courses in the Express, Normal (Academic) and Normal (Technical) streams for pupils.
In the late 90s, there was an urgent need to upgrade the school facilities and move to a more spacious location. In January 2003, in preparation for its move to Yishun, Chung Cheng High School (Branch) started to operate at two campuses, namely at the current Guillemard site and the holding school at Sembawang Drive. In 2005, when the new building was finally ready for use at its present location in Yishun, Chung Cheng High School (Branch) was renamed Chung Cheng High School (Yishun).
On 30 June 2006, the school held its opening ceremony at the new site.
Photographs taken during the time when the school was located at Kim Yam Road
Relocation to Yishun
Chung Cheng High School (Yishun) has, through the years, consistently kept to its philosophy of optimising the student’s potential and achieving both academic and personal success through a caring, supportive and stimulating learning environment. Credit and recognition must be accorded to the collaborative efforts of the School Management Committee (SMC), Alumni, staff, parents and students. Together in partnership, they exemplify the true Chung Cheng Spirit.
Before the 1990s, the physical amenities at the school were adequate and provided a conducive environment for both teaching and learning. However, with new initiatives introduced in education, the need to upgrade the school facilities and move to a spacious location became a pressing concern. As rebuilding the school on the current 0.6 hectare of land was not feasible, the school opted for a relocation to provide a more spacious and better-equipped school.
In 2002, the school made further progress with its plans to relocate to Yishun. Floor plans for the site were firmed up after a series of consultations with Ministry of Education, School Management Committee (SMC), architects and school staff. Construction of our new home in Yishun was expected to be completed in 2004. Meanwhile, every effort is being made to ensure that our new premise will facilitate teaching and learning in realising the school’s vision of becoming a prestigious and premier educational institution.
In January 2003, in preparation for its move to Yishun, the school operated at two campuses, the current Guillemard site and the holding school at Sembawang Drive.Chung Cheng High School (Yishun) with its staff and eight classes of secondary one cohort of students, made their presence felt in the north. The school took on the challenge to co-ordinate programmes and operated at the two campuses, while ensuring that the Chung Cheng Spirit and rich Chinese traditions remained intact after the school completed its move to the north.
The ground-breaking ceremony on 30 March 2003 at Yishun symbolized the charting of a new chapter in the history of the school.
Despite the mobility restrictions created by the SARS outbreak that year, the School Management Committee members led by Chairman Mr Wee Cho Yaw, laid the foundations for the new school, witnessed by staff from the two campuses at Guillemard and Sembawang.
The long-awaited dream to relocate to a more conducive campus came true. With the completion of the school building in 2005,
Chung Cheng High School (Branch) was renamed as Chung Cheng High School (Yishun) to serve the Yishun community in developing students holistically.
Official Opening of New Campus at Yishun on 30 June 2006.
(left to right):
Mr Yap Juye Long (Principal), Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam (Minister for Education & Second Minister for Finance), Mr Wee Cho Yaw (School Management Committee Chairman), Mr Lim Meng Wei (Vice-Principal)